What a great way to start the year, with a return visit to The Brasserie at Milton Keynes College. Yet again, Sarah King and the college students did us proud, with a wonderful lunch in the revamped restaurant which is now complete with a chefs table overlooking the kitchen.
And don’t think that you’ll have to wait for our next event to be here to return! The Brasserie is open to the general public too and you can book a table here.
Our chair Carole Bailey opened this month’s event by introducing the Women in Enterprise theme for the year – shop and support local – encouraging everyone to support local businesses, especially in this uncertain time.
As a charitable networking group we feel very strongly about this, with our support extending to local businesses at the various venues that we visit throughout the year.
OUR SPOTLIGHT PRESENTATION
This month we were treated to a fascinating presentation from one of our members, Lesley Clarke – Style Adviser, who shared details of her career journey, inspired us to consider ethical clothing (with her own pledge to buy no new items in 2020) and gave us her 3 top tips for managing a capsule wardrobe…
• will it last 3 years
• will it go with 3 other pieces in your wardrobe
• can you use at 3 different events
Lesley’s excellent advice was very well received and left a great many of us contemplating our own shopping habits and wardrobes. Thank you Lesley!
CHARITY DONATION UPDATE
An important piece of news shared with attendees was confirmation of our donation to Milton Keynes Community Foundations’ Women’s Fund, our nominated charity.
2019 was a very successful year for us, so we were extremely proud to announce that we have raised £1500 from our business card draw, Christmas charity raffle and other fund-raising activities. This is an impressive 50% increase on last year’s donation.
We’ll arrange a presentation in the next few weeks, so look out for the announcement on our various social media channels. To find out more about how our fundraising helps to make a difference to women and girls locally, head to our website
CELEBRATING OUR MEMBERS!
We were delighted to hear from member June Oldroyd of MK Community Foundation that she has recommended Committee Member, Michelle Theuma of Onyx Recruitment for the High Sheriff award!
Well done Michelle – we’ll have everything crossed for you on the night!
THANK YOU FROM WORKTREE
At the meeting Michelle demonstrated why that award nomination is so well deserved…
Michelle volunteers for Worktree amongst other organisations – how she finds time for her ‘day job’ we’ll never know! – and with 3 people cancelling for an event she was due to facilitate that afternoon put the shout out to the room for help.
Very much in the spirit of Women in Enterprise, Michelle quickly found 3 members very willing to give up an hour of their time, straight after our meeting. A huge thank you to Suzanna Stephenson from Woodfines Solicitors, Sheila Lord from BMR and our chair Carole Bailey from Interdirect, for stepping up.
GOT SOME NEWS TO SHARE?
Of course you all know the email address! 🙂
Members, don’t forget to send us your information and news so we can put this out on our social media pages as well as on our website.
And if you are reading this and not already a member, then you can find more details about our group by clicking the link here
… more benefits of being a member
• The opportunity to place articles and adverts on our social media channels
• You’ll be networking in a relaxed and friendly environment
• The opportunity to promote your business through our website and at lunches/events
• Discounted Members rates when booking lunches and events
• An online listing in our Members Directory on our website
• Your photograph on our website, together with forty words promoting yourself and your business
• The opportunity to speak at meetings – promoting yourself and your business – or to ask for assistance or support
• You’re entitled to attend our Annual Members Event, which is always hugely enjoyable – and free!
• Entry into our business card draw at each meeting for a prize from the venue that month
• Entry into our birthday draw at each meeting for a gift supplied by one of our members, Got2Jot
Our next event is a regular coffee networking one, held in the usual place, the Tag Taylor bar at Planet Ice. Details are on the website now ready for you to book your place as a member for just £3 or a non member for £5.